Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Almost a Fantasy - a rare and rave review

Last night I went to see the second of 5 New York Fringe Festival shows I will see this week. The first was decent with fantastic acting, the third I expect to be decent, the fourth and fifth I don't have high expectations for. The second, however, "Almost a Fantasy" written by Michael Aguirre, directed by John Grabowski, and produced by Chelsea Rep LAB, is one of my favorites I've seen at Fringe in the last four years. Aguirre has written a play who's accomplishment seemingly surpasses the playwright's youth. No doubt the thoughtful, skilled direction and remarkable acting performance by Danijela Popovic are quite a boost in the presentation of the work.

The play chronicles the twenty year relationship between a piano teacher and her student. A snippet of early dialogue contains the phrase "inappropriate relationship" and I immediately feared I was going to be watching a Mamet/Harrower homage. Where most playwrights, even those far more seasoned, would go for the highest conflict Aguirre goes for something less sensational and achieves something far more honest and thought-provoking.

If you want more details, see the FringeNYC site or check out the reviews online via Google search. Better yet, go see it. Just go. If you're not moved, I'll pay for your ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment