Friday, October 26, 2012

Hooker's Dilemma

Hello darkness my old friend....

I don't know why, but I felt compelled to start this post with that line. Great song. Doesn't really reflect my state of mind right now, but still a great song. maybe it's because I'm sitting in an empty room this morning in complete silence, as most of my mornings begin.

You know what would be great? If I was here by choice... to work on things I choose to work on, not the things I do for money. I wonder if hookers experience the same problem. Do they, in the midst of being schtooped, think to themselves, "if only I was getting screwed by someone I really wanted to screw"? Maybe their vernacular is a little less tame than mine, but I wonder if the sentiment is the same.

The never ending dilemma of the "artist". How do I do what I love and make a living doing so. The short answer... just do it. I guess you could also call that the Nike answer. Maybe I should say "make it happen" instead. Be in control of your life. If others wont pay you to do what you love, find a way to pay yourself to do it. If no one wants to fuck a hooker and she wins the lottery, would she keep fucking? I bet she would!

I think the analogy has gotten away from me...

In any case, I believe in "make it happen". A "wise" (read drunk) person said those words to me and some friends long ago and when I look at the paths we have taken, I do believe the message was heard.

I try not to constantly spew fortune-cookie wisdom, but so much of it makes perfect sense:

Just do it
Make it happen
Never say never
If at first you don't succeed, change your definition of success (not commonly accepted as good advice, but can be with the right perspective)
Dance like no one is watching
Seize the day
Don't be afraid to make mistakes
Don't let fear rule your life
Don't give up
Try not to say don't so much
Surround yourself with people equally as crazy as you are
Look for the opportunity the universe provides you and grab it.
Let go of the past
Be who you are, unabashedly
Try not to ramble in blog posts
Forgive yourself when you do
Know when the joke is dead and quit beating it to death
Try


That's all I got.



No comments:

Post a Comment