Thursday, July 12, 2012

So it's been a while....

So it's been a while since I last posted. A lot has happened since then. I have moved and had someone steal from me. That's always a disappointing experience. The stealing, not the moving. The moving was hard, but not necessarily disappointing. It was a very emotional move as it was part of the end of something that was such an important part of my life. There was a lot of sadness and uncertainty about this move and now I'm in a new place living with someone I haven't known for more than a few weeks. What lies ahead seems like it could be great, but right now everything is unsure and uprooted. Luckily, I had two wonderful people help me through this move. When everything in your life is crazy, sometimes the most magical words you could ever hear are, "sure, I'll help you move" said with the simplicity of lending someone a dime. As if moving weren't a taxing, frustrating and sweaty experience.

Years ago, I had to move rather quickly and I was driving a beat up Volkswagen I could barely squeeze a box into, let alone furniture. When that was happening I reached out to a guy named Mike with Crohn's disease. Crohn's has nothing to do with the story, that's just how I distinguish him from the 50 other Mikes in my life. That number is not an exaggeration, by the way. Mike, sorry that you will always be described that way. I didn't really know Mike. I had met him a few months prior and we were often in the same places with the same people. Mike had a truck and said "sure" in just the same way my friend who helped this last weekend did. Just because.

That "sure" meant and means so much to me. It says, "I would love to extract some misery out of your life." It says, "Without agenda." It says, "I love you." Which is what some people need to hear in the midst of stressful times. What I also love about that response is that it says those three little words and then tacks on, "and I'm not afraid to prove it." Thank you to my two wonderful people this weekend and thank you to Mike with Crohn's disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment