Tuesday, June 5, 2012

We shouldn't have given women or African Americans the right to vote.

You know what I take issue with? Giving people rights. I think its an antiquated idea. We shouldn't give homosexuals the right to marry. We shouldn't have given women or African Americans the right to vote. Giving people rights is absolute bullshit. We should RECOGNIZE people's rights, not be doling them out from some albino fat-cats up on high. It's time for the U.S. to own up to its mistakes and say "Yes we were wrong to deprive you of any rights, ever. We recognize that now." Instead, it comes off as under-served groups finally being good enough to join all the white guys. It's like letting the token black guy into your country club. Doesn't make your club any less despicable. This mentality, I believe, is a large contributor to the continuing inequality in this country. It's time to recognize this behavior and put an end to it.

This rant was brought to you by the meme I saw this morning, featuring two sheepish women, proclaiming "On this day in 1919, congress passed the 19th amendment that gave women the right to vote."

And yes, I purposely did not capitalize "congress" or "amendment". When either are deserving of it I will begin to capitalize them. Until then, it is my act of dissent. Quite ineffective and petty, but mine just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment